The training courses in these operations are aimed at you if you are:
- An individual using a chainsaw for your own use
- Self-employed and wanting to extend your business opportunities
- An employee needing occasional or regular chainsaw use
- Requiring a nationally recognised qualification for insurance purposes.
You must be aged 17 years or over and be physically fit and able to complete the tasks involved.
Before starting the course it is recommended that you take a basic emergency first aid qualification.
City & Guilds Land Based Services (NPTC) courses are progressive and to progress through the units you must have successfully achieved the prior (mandatory) unit(s). Units can be assessed singly or in combination.
Skills and Knowledge Assessed (dependent on units)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE requirements)
- Maintenance of the power unit
- Guide bar and chain maintenance
- Safety features
- Safe felling
- Cross cutting
- Pruning techniques
- Taking down hung up trees
- Climbing and aerial rescue
- Using a chainsaw from rope and harness
Personal Protective Wear (PPE)
You should provide your own personal protective wear (PPE) and chainsaw; alternatively you can hire them from the college. Equipment must comply with legal requirements. Chainsaws must be accompanied by the manufacturer’s manual.