Professional people who use pesticides must be competent to use them safely. There are many situations where this qualification is a legal requirement, for instance where pesticides are being applied to land belonging to a third party.
The certificate of competence in the Safe use of Pesticides meets the requirements of:
- Food and Environment Protection Act (FEPA) 1995
- Control Of Pesticides Regulations 1995
- The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Control of Pollution Act 1974 & Water act 1989
- Waste Management Regulations 2006
1 day per unit followed by an assessment at a later date.
You must be aged 16 years or over and be physically fit and able to complete the tasks involved. Candidates must provide their own PPE.
Skills and Knowledge Assessed
- Legal requirements of using pesticides correctly and safely
- Products knowledge and label interpretation
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements
- Maintenance requirements of the equipment
- Operator health and safety
- Procedures to minimise environmental contamination and pollution
- Procedures for storing, handling, mixing and disposing of chemicals
- Equipment calibration
- Calculating and mixing of chemicals